Modern Times Bookstore Collective is hiring an Events Coordinator!
Modern Times is the West Coast’s oldest collectively-run independent bookstore and a proud member of the Network of Bay Area Worker Cooperatives and the Northern California Independent Bookseller’s Association. We are celebrating our 43rd year of book selling and rabble-rousing and carry a wide range of new and used books, including books in Spanish, host diverse community events, and maintain relationships with many progressive local organizations.
The Events Coordinator is a part-time, unbenefited position that starts at $10.74/hr, 12-16 hours per week. The Events Coordinator is eligible to potentially become a Modern Times Collective Member in the future. The Events Coordinator will work with a volunteer Events Committee to create unique, diverse and ongoing events for the Bookstore.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
• booking and promoting in-store and off-site author readings, classes and events
• responding to requests for events and pro-actively creating diverse events with authors, publishers, publicists, bookbuyers, catalogues, political organizations and communities; obtaining promotional materials
• publicizing events through monthly calendar, press releases for print and online media, email lists, websites, social media and targeted outreach to organizations and businesses
• designing ads and bimonthly newsletter
• overseeing Web content
• maintaining email outreach list
• coordinating window displays highlighting events
• arranging for event setup at MT
• other tasks as assigned by MT collective and steering committee
• bookstore love and knowledge
• events coordination and organization
• experience and commitment to working collectively and with a wide range of individuals, including volunteers
• commitment to local community and social/racial/economic justice
• excellent verbal and written skills
• self-directed with strong time management skills
• attention to detail, flexibility; accountability; timeliness; sense of humor
• computer literacy, particularly with social media, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Mailchimp, Google Docs and Calendar
• bookstore experience
• familiarity with publicity and marketing protocols
• retail/sales/shipping/inventory management; customer service
• bilingual (Spanish/English)
• HTML and CSS content creation/troubleshooting on Wordpress
• email newsletter management with Mailchimp
• direct relationships with local authors and community/political organizations
• knowledge of current political landscape
• willingness to work at the Bookstore’s front desk
• interest in potentially becoming a MT collective member
Modern Times Bookstore Collective is located in the heart of SF’s Mission District, 2919 24th Street, SF 94110. We are open Monday-Saturday 11:00 – 9:00 and Sunday 11:00 – 8:00. To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com by April 25, 2014. No phone calls please. Start Date: May (specific date TBD). We strongly encourage applications from those who identify as trans, gender queer, queer, people of color or women.